Notes Chapter 7 Birth
Class 11 commerce students can refer to Chapter 7 Birth notes given below which is an important chapter in the class 11 English book. These notes and important questions and answers have been prepared based on the latest CBSE and NCERT syllabus and books issued for the current academic year. Our team of English teachers has prepared these notes for class 11 English for the benefit of students so that you can read these revision notes and understand each topic carefully.
Birth Notes Class 11 English
Refer to the notes and important questions given below for Birth which is really useful and has been recommended by Class 11 English teachers. Understanding the concepts in detail and then solving questions by yourself will help you to learn all topics given in your NCERT Books.
- BIRTH is the story of a doctor, just a fresher, who handles a complicated child delivery case in the most admirable way and brings back life in a dead born child.
- In doing so he applies his medical text book knowledge as well as determination. The story expresses the anxiety, dedication towards profession and gratitude towards god.
- Andrew Manson was returning home late night brooding over a disappointing evening with his girl friend, Christine.
- It was midnight and when he reached near his house and found a miner, Joe Morgan, awaiting him to attend to his wife immediately. She was expecting their first child after twenty years of marriage.
- At the patient’s house, Andrew saw that the lady was being attended to by a midwife and Mrs. Morgan,an elderly woman.
- It took about two hours when the process of child birth began. Andrew was tired but he had no option to leave the patient.
- After about an hour long harsh struggle a child was born towards the dawn. But the child was still born.
- When Andrew gazed at the lifeless form, he shivered with horror. Then he looked at the mother. She required immediate attention. Andrew was in a dilemma- whom should he attend to first: the child or the mother?
- Andrew gave the child to the nurse and turned his attention to the mother who was unconscious. Gradually, her heart strengthened and Andrew could now leave her to attend to the baby.
- He asked about the child. The midwife was thoroughly frightened. Taking this still child, she had dumped it beneath the bed amongst soaked newspaper. He pulled out the child.
- The child was perfectly formed. Andrew could understand that it was a case of suffocation due to lack of oxygen and excess of carbon-dioxide in the blood.
- Andrew started giving the necessary treatment. He did not lose heart. The midwife again and again told him that it was a still born child. But Andrew did not heed. He kept on dipping the child’s limp body in hot and cold water alternatively.
- After exhaustive efforts, a miracle happened. The child sighed and started crying. Its white skin turned pink and he was no longer still born.
- At last Andrew heaved a sigh of relief. He handed the child to the nurse. He told the entire story to Joe standing outside and walked down the street.
- The dawn was breaking by the time Andrew started towards home. He was full of gratitude towards god and felt a deep sense of satisfaction. He realized that he had done something real at last. It was the birth of his new life as a doctor.
Short Answer Type Questions
Question. Who was Joe Morgan? Why was he waiting for Dr. Andrew Manson?
Ans. Jeo Morgan was a driller in Blaenelly, a minning town. He and his wife Susan, were married for nearly twenty years and now they were expecting their first child. He was waiting for the doctor to help Susan in the delivery of the child.
Question. Why did a shiver of horror pass over Andrew?
Ans. Dr. Andrew Struggled for more than an hour is help the mother Susan Morgan for the safe delivery of the baby. But when the child was born he was lifeless. As Andrew gazed at the still born baby, a shiver of horror passed over him.